I've heard that Red 40 is toxic. Yellow 5 is another one that comes up often. Don't know how true it is or what "toxic" means in this context, because everything is toxic depending on quantity ingested, so I wonder what this really means. I tend not to dye my own foods (except with turmeric or paprika) but it's pretty tough to find processed foods that are completely free of dyes. With that in mind, what should I know about food colorings when considering the potential for health hazards? What kind of hazards are we talking about here?
Processed foods have plenty of other issues, but that's a different can of worms. This question is just about food colorings and dyes.